A handheld vacuum is ideal for cleaning up small accidental messes around the house and garage, as well as cleaning the inside of your car and other hard-to-reach places. However, with so many different options on the market, it can be difficult to know the best handheld vacuum for your needs. So, let’s take a look at some of the features you should take into consideration when making your decision.
What to look for in your handheld vacuum
Here are eight features to consider when selecting a hand vacuum cleaner.
- Weight: One of the main reasons for buying a handheld vacuum cleaner is because it’s a lightweight option. We recommend popping into one of our stores and weighing this up yourself to make sure the hand vacuum you pick feels just right.
- Runtime: This is the length of time you can use a handheld vacuum cleaner for before it needs to be recharged. Most models have a runtime of between 10 and 20 minutes, but longer isn’t always better. Because a hand vacuum cleaner is designed for quick cleaning that shouldn’t take more than a few minutes, runtime might not be a major factor in your decision.
- Capacity: Since these vacuums are small and lightweight, they don’t have a large collection capacity. Most will have a maximum capacity of 1L or less, which might not be a problem if you only use it for quick clean-ups in selected areas.
- Warranty: Most warranties last for one to two years, so it pays to check the length of the warranty before making your final decision.
- Attachments: Does the hand vacuum cleaner have any attachments that will make getting into tight places easier? These can make a big difference to the functionality of your hand vacuum.
- HEPA filter: If you or someone in your family suffers from allergies or you have a pet in your home, a HEPA filter will help to keep the air clean and hygienic. Not every handheld vacuum comes with a HEPA filter, so if it’s an important factor in your decision-making process be sure to check for this feature.
- Charging: Does the handheld vacuum cleaner use a docking station, plug-in charger or a USB-C charging port? It might not make any difference to you, but if it needs to be near a power point to recharge this might be a consideration.
- Wet & Dry: Some hand vacuums can be used to suck up both wet and dry debris. They have dual chambers that separate dry mess from liquids, making them both versatile and easy to empty.
What is the best
handheld vacuum cleaner for pet hair?
Spot cleaning pet hair can be an ongoing problem for pet owners, so owning a hand vacuum cleaner that makes light work of the job can be a blessing. We have a range of handy vacuums that are perfect for removing pet hair. Here are our top picks:
- Hoover Pets Plus: This handheld vacuum features a powerhead for effortless pet hair removal, extension tubes, brush attachments and an upright charging station.
- Vax Quick Flip Pro: This model features a motorised turbo tool that’s perfect for removing pet hair and a built-in crevice tool to reach into tight spaces.
What is the best handheld vacuum?
The best all-round handheld vacuum cleaner will have all the features you personally need. These are our quick picks, but it’s worth checking out our entire range as there might be others better suited to your needs.
- Optim: Features a handy flashlight and HEPA filter, as well as a USB-C port for super-fast charging. It’s ideal for quick clean-ups and fits easily on a shelf in the laundry.
- Hoover Wet & Dry: Features wet and dry pick-up technology, a charging station and attachments. It’s perfect for cleaning dry debris and liquids.
For help selecting the best handheld vacuum for your home, why not chat to one of our experts online or in store today?